Pizza is the favorite food of most individuals. It’s a staple in the American diet, the foundation of weekend food, and the first food you think of when you want to order in. However, it’s hard not to devour the entire thing, or stray away from it when you’re watching your nutritional intake.
The amount of carbs and fat in pizza is what makes pizza cheat-day material. “Cauliflower Pizza” has made its popularity in recent years as people look for a healthier option. After some digging, we might have found the best recipe for this unorthodox pie. Check it out!
Cauliflower Pizza | Yields 8 Slices
~60 calories | 4g Carbs, 2.6g Fat, 5g Protein
1 head of riced cauliflower (place in food processor) or 6 cups of store bought cauliflower rice (if frozen, thaw)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (dried oregano or basil)
salt, ground black pepper
1/2c Parmesan, grated/shredded
organic tomato sauce
a handful of basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Placed riced cauliflower (from either a food processor or from a bag) in the oven. After the cauliflower is completely dry and lightly browned, set to the side. After cooled, pat dry or until no water can be squeezed out of the riced cauliflower.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine egg with dried herbs, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Slowly add in cheese and dried cauliflower. Combine well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Flatten the cauliflower “dough” mixture with cheese, egg, and herbs in the middle of the parchment paper. Make sure the crust is no less than .3 inches in thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then carefully flip with spatula and bake for a few more minutes, or until both sides are lightly browned and cooked through.
- Top cauliflower pizza base with more cheese, spinach, basil, and tomato sauce. Bake until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
*recipe inspired by ifoodreal.com!
*Credit Nikita Tiffany. Follow @niki.eats for more cool food action!