Salad doesn’t have to be boring . . . we’ve talked about that before. But your carbs (potatoes, rice, etc.) doesn’t have to be boring either.
Today we’re putting your carbs and leafy veggies together to make a scrumptious “salad” recipe, which you can substitute for your previously boring carbs.
Here’s a yummy recipe to re-integrate into your diet. There’s a perfect balance between sweet and salty with the rice salad, making it an easy pairing to any meat for any of your meals.
Brown Rice Salad | Yields 4 servings | 310 calories
2 cups water
1 cup brown rice
½ cup diced red pepper
½ cup diced celery
¼ cup dried cranberries
3 cups spinach
½ cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- On a medium-to-high heat pot, let 2 cups of water boil. Add in 1 cup of brown rice and cook for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- While the rice is cooking, put dried cranberries in a cup of hot water. Let sit or until cranberries have expanded. Drain and set to the side.
- Dice celery and red pepper. Put on medium-to-high heat pan with ½ cup water. Let the water soften the vegetables.
- Once the rice is cooked, put red pepper, celery, cranberries, and spinach in the pot. Let the heat from the rice wilt the spinach.
- Once the spinach is wilted, add in the balsamic vinaigrette, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to your liking.
- Serve hot or cold. Enjoy!
*Credit Nikita Tiffany. Follow @niki.eats for more cool food action!